Tuesday 18 November 2008

Music I play I - Primera solea

The first piece in this series is called : "Primera Soleá"

Soleá, (or soleares to use the plural form) is one of the most basic forms or "palos" of Flamenco music, the exact historical origins of soleares are uncertain and controversial. Probably the most important center of its development was the Triana district of Sevilla in the early nineteenth century. The word 'Soleá' is probably a corruption of soledad which means solitude or loneliness.

Soleá is one of the flamenco palos with the highest number of traditional songs, and it is particularly appreciated by knowledgeable artists and audiences. It is very demanding for singers, as they have to strive to be creative and, at the same time, respectful of the tradition, and they have to succeed in finding a good balance between melody and rhythm, both extremely difficult. It demands great vocal faculties, and the singer should achieve a balance between passion and restraint.

This Soleá is really simple and slow, but it's the basic rhythm for all traditional soleares and even other forms of Flamenco music like the Bulerías.

The Soleá uses the flamenco scale (similar to the Phrygian mode) and a meter of 3/4 although the soleares measure is usually built up from 6 and 12 beat phrases.

speed of this solea is Andante (best speed for this solea is ranging from 88-104)

= 88

Composer: Traditional

Notation: Juan Martin

Guitar used: Almansa 403 Abeto.

(If you don't like my playing, just enjoy the intro)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

can i request a song please?

Gypo said...

will post it if I know it

Anonymous said...

you know it .. it's called "Fell in love with an alien"

Gypo said...

I've only played this song a few times and for certain people.
Can you please identify yourself?

Gypo said...

And since you know that I play this song, I think you also know that I sound like a sick dog when I sing.

Anonymous said...

I am who you call "certain ppl"!

Gypo said...

Hey, how are you?
it's been a very long time.
I knew it was you when you mentioned this song, but I wanted to make sure.

Anonymous said...

am good..um btw i lost ur email address :S

Gypo said...

tamersfahmy@hotmail.com
but you have to unblock me first

Anonymous said...

now that's embarrassing .. um um